Reveling in the glory and beauty of everyday life... all the mess and chaos of raising five little girls!

Friday, June 21, 2013

Recapture the Time



As mamas of little ones, our time is stretched thin, isn’t it? The demands are many. We are busy with a myriad of roles: mother, teacher, housekeeper, nurse, cook…   Our time alone is scant. And while I have learned to fully embrace this season with joy and to delight in the moments of chaos, I still often lament the lack of quiet.  I ache for quiet mornings to spend with my Bible and my God.  I miss reflective cups of tea and hours of journaling and prayer.  I was perusing The Power of  A Praying Parent and wishing I had the time to pray the many prayers included in the book.

But, you know what? Maybe I do have the time. Maybe you do, too. Maybe we mamas need to recapture the time we’ve been given. I read a quote by John Piper, whose writings I love. He said, “One of the great uses of Twitter and Facebook will be to prove at the Last Day that prayerlessness was not from lack of time.”

Personally, Erik and I don’t use Facebook. But, that doesn’t mean I don’t catch myself lamenting my own prayerlessness while blithely wasting time in other ways.  I realized the other day that in a space of restful afternoon quiet, I had squandered fifteen minutes looking at Land’s End school uniforms.  I can easily follow a blog link a friend sent by email and waste precious moments in idly scanning.  I can pick up a novel instead of my Bible. I can choose cleaning over Christ.

It is not wrong to relax by looking at Facebook, or to connect with a friend by reading a blog. It isn’t wrong for me to work diligently at having a tidy home.  But I am realizing how often I choose something other than prayer. Something other than Jesus. I complain because I don’t have time – and then I don’t prioritize the time I do have.  When my big girls rest for thirty minutes in the afternoon, I race around doing chores. Maybe I should brew that tea, open that journal, and meet with Jesus for a few minutes. And then- invite them to help me with the chores I missed.

I want to recapture my time and keep my priorities in their proper alignment.  Will you join me? :) 

2 comments:

  1. So I sent you a message on facebook before I read this post asking you about homeschooling. Is there a way I could get your email so I could ask a few curriculum questions? Love your insight. Thanks!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to reflect on how many ways I waste time doing "stuff" and not spending time in prayer. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete