Reveling in the glory and beauty of everyday life... all the mess and chaos of raising five little girls!

Monday, September 3, 2012

First Grade


It's Labor Day. Erik is working, and the girls and I are trying to prepare for an 18 hour car trip on Wednesday - driving to Washington for my brother's wedding.We are excited to celebrate, but apprehensive about the trip.:)  In the midst of baking and laundry and sorting, I am also trying to prepare a bit for starting our school year the day we return, and I wanted to share a little about our plans!

We are really excited about the curriculum we've chosen for this year.  It definitely stretched our budget a little, but I am thankful to have a year's worth of material at my fingertips, without the stress of weekly library trips or wondering whether a book will even be available!  After much debate, I finally settled on Sonlight as our "core" curriculum.  I have been reading a few books lately on homeschooling, one of which was Educating the Whole-Hearted Child by Sally and Clay Clarkson.  I love this godly couple and their perspective on raising a family. They talk about discipleship and education through living books and real life....  no curriculum needed.  But, I don't think I am up to the task right now.  I need a framework.  I need a plan.  I need help. 

Sonlight's Cores are literature-rich curricula that encompass history, read-alouds, Bible and geography.  We are using Core B - which is an intro to World History.  I am so excited for all the snuggling with good books we get to do!

We are also using Sonlight for science - focusing on animals, astronomy and physics with Science B. Again - real books.  No text.  Weekly experiments with supplies included! Whew! :)

Our language arts is four-fold.

Spelling - All About Spelling Level 2.

Grammar - First Language Lessons

Writing - Writing With Ease

Reading - Here we are using our library.  I am having Elisa read aloud from books I choose (based off a couple of reading lists).  She reads on her own a lot, but reading out loud is so important, too.  Both girls will have silent reading after lunch while the littler ones nap.

Math - We are switching to Horizons for math.  More color and pizzazz than Math-U-See.   Elisa grew to despise math, and I want to generate a little excitement!

Spanish - our pastor's wife has a homeschooled daughter Elisa's age, and she is going to try to organize a Spanish class!  They lived in Mexico for eight years as missionaries. 

PE - swim class and Nordic ski team.

Sadie will continue with My Father's World Kindergarten through most of the year, adding other subjects as she is ready.  She's still pre-K, so we're not pushing it.




We are looking forward to a great year. More to come!


1 comment:

  1. Curriculum looks awesome. Megan is doing great with MFW. Have a wonderful trip! I'm sure your fam can't wait to meet Hope!
    MP

    ReplyDelete